Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default OT - Spanking...Should You or Shouldn't You?

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:42:10 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

"Kenneth" wrote in message
.. .
One might hope that the adults who advocate hitting children
have the opportunity to be hit by someone five times their
own weight.

Now that would be a lesson...

Do you have any questions why so many of the children of today have no
manners? I know I don't have. (Questions, that is.)

Nor do I. I grew up next to a spankless family. The little boy was
so bad/acted up so loudly that Mom and Dad wouldn't allow him in our
house. They were friends with the parents, not the kids. Becky was my
age (teen at the time) and I believe was raised with spanking, but the
parents didn't spank Andrew, their son. I saw the window glass guys
coming often, so the kid (age 7 then) must have been throwing stuff
through them as well as screaming and pounding his fists and feet on
the floor. Nobody in the neighborhood had anything to do with Andrew,
and when I heard of Hurricane Andrew, I immediately thought of him.
Yeah, you can keep your kids raised without spanking, thanks.

No one suggested you have to beat a kid senseless. A couple slaps on the
ass does a world of good for kids that act up and won't listen to reason.

Right, no beating, just a proper hand to keep them in line. There's
"the look", "the whispered verbal warning", "the loud verbal warning"
and "the spanking hand", in that order. Kids raised without it turn
into criminals who think they can get away with anything, just as they
always have.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm up to my ears with kids that
mule and puke when in public, showing no respect for person or property.
Where the hell do you think that starts? Permissive parents that have
little to no interest in rearing children, permitting any kind of activity,
in fear they might screw up the kid's mind if he/she had to learn something
in the way of obedience and manners.

Ditto that in SPADES!

I'd suggest to you the parents of such children reap their reward when the
kids grow up and show their contempt for society, including their parents.
Why not? What were they taught?

Karma is karma. Ouch! (That's gonna hurt, Ken.)

Harold (who's all for a good spanking when it's warranted)

AFAIC, it's part of proper parenting. NO beating, belts, or canes.
But a hand (or thin switch) once or twice will do wonders. My most
memorable spanking was from Dad, when he asked me to go cut my own
switch. My friend and I had crossed under the fence at the edge of
the Air Base and were beyond the highway with our slingshots. My good
old friend sent a marble up in the air in an arc trying to hit a car
going 65 mph. He got the windshield but luckily, nobody got hurt.

He saw it coming and ran, I got caught first, and we both got hauled
up to the Air Police at the gate. I was later "saved" by Jeff's
admission of guilt, but we both embarrassed our fathers. I've been in
only one fight in my life and it was with Jeff the following year.
True to the morals lacking in that family, his brothers joined in
against me, (kneeling behind me so he could push me over them, etc.),
but I still won the fight.

I learned several great lessons from that episode of switch cutting
and I haven't made any more "friends" like Jeff since.

end note:
I wonder if security at Little Rock AFB ever got any better. We
traveled through OPEN 4' diameter concrete flood pipes to get off the
base for "hunting" in the forest beyond. There were simple 8' chain
link fences around the Base, rimmed with 3 layers of barbed wire, but
the flood control was wide open.

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen