John Flanagan

Default Composition of low melt temp fixturing alloy

On 16 Jul 2003 00:19:52 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
John Flanagan wrote:
On 15 Jul 2003 09:15:16 -0700,
(Stan Schaefer)
wrote:

[ ... ]

I think you'll find that making your own low-melting alloys will be a
lot more costly than you think. Bismuth in particular isn't cheap

[ ... ]

The lead and tin I have. Bismuth I can get for $10-$15/lb. Which
works out to around $6/lb in the alloy (50% Bismuth). The cadmium I
don't know where to find.

The only sources of small amounts of cadmium that I know of are the
lab suppliers and they might be getting a little reluctant to do

[ ... ]

Somebody's got it somewhere I'll find it sooner or later, I'm in no
hurry. I made a rocket nozzle and would like to make it thinner so
filling the interior up with this material would really do the trick.

I *hope* that you mean to use this as support while spinning the
nozzle down smaller. The thought of a nozzle whose contour was being
changed by a layer of low-melting alloy strikes me as rather exciting in
service, shall we say? :-)

Yea, that's the idea. It's only about .062" thick now and it rings
like crazy while turning (I do mean loud). I rammed a paper towel in
it to help dampen the vibration but this stuff would work much better.
Plus I don't think I'd dare go too much thinner without better
interior support than paper.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get.
So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.