Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alex

Default OT - Spanking...Should You or Shouldn't You?

Harold,

what if you spanked a kid and he/she starts to behave even worse?
Never thought of that, ah?
You are a lucky parent if spanking works for your kid. Spanking DOESN'T WORK FOR ALL
kids. I suggest that you you listen to professionals and try to follow what they
recommend. If professional tells you not to spank then don't spank. Imagine a
psychologist coming up with "new" ways to machine steel or heat treat metal? Sounds
stupid, right? Do not try to invent something new in parenting or children psychology.
Your parenting baggage is full of stale myths.
As for kids around you that that misbehave...
here is bogus Socrat quote:
children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble
their food, and tyrannize their teachers.

"In fact no Greek writer or philosopher would denigrate the youth of his time
in such a manner; they were seen as the future and the hope of
civilization - an attitude perhaps we might adopt instead of today's
all too frequent and largely unfounded negativism."

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Kenneth" wrote in message

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:17:36 -0600, "Swingman"
wrote:

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message

I was spanked as a child , but was WARNED that it would happen if I
continued disobeying my folks, and they followed through with the

threat

even if they didn't really want to. I believe it taught me that there

are

consequences for my actions. And, looking back, I KNOW I respected them

more

than I would have if all they ever did was threaten to punish me and

never

did. (This is a problem with a lot of today's kids) I raise mine kids

the

same way. Spanking is NOT done out of anger, and if you threaten it

and

follow through with it when needed, kids will know you mean business

and

generally will correct their behavior without having to resort to

paddling.

(which, by the way I DO NOT consider corporal punishment) I WILL NOT

tell

a child numerous times to stop with the bad behavior. First time, a

polite

"stop that". Second time "stop that or I'll paddle your behind". Third
time...well, it generally doesn't go that far, but I am I man of my
word.... --dave

Bingo ... too bad there's not more parents with that attitude, and

uncommon

sense, in this day and age. The concept is time honored simplicity when
training animals ... discipline/reward is only effective as the

immediate

consequence of an undesirable/desirable action, respectively.

You smack a horse/dog/animal, or a kid, without the culprit knowing what

it

is they're getting whacked for, and you get a renegade.

All my dad had to do (after that first initiation), was reach for his

belt

buckle ... like Pavlov's dog we knew kids immediately what NOT to do.

One might hope that the adults who advocate hitting children
have the opportunity to be hit by someone five times their
own weight.

Now that would be a lesson...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Do you have any questions why so many of the children of today have no
manners? I know I don't have. (Questions, that is.)

No one suggested you have to beat a kid senseless. A couple slaps on the
ass does a world of good for kids that act up and won't listen to reason.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm up to my ears with kids that
mule and puke when in public, showing no respect for person or property.
Where the hell do you think that starts? Permissive parents that have
little to no interest in rearing children, permitting any kind of activity,
in fear they might screw up the kid's mind if he/she had to learn something
in the way of obedience and manners.

I'd suggest to you the parents of such children reap their reward when the
kids grow up and show their contempt for society, including their parents.
Why not? What were they taught?

Harold (who's all for a good spanking when it's warranted)