Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heating Cottage Crawlspace - Pipes Freezing

m Ransley wrote:
Any heatsource or power needed can fail, even a new set up, and freeze
the pipes when you leave,

Thanks. I do know that, but if my power goes out, it doesn't (usually)
go out for all that long, and my thought was that if the power is out
for few hours at minus 30, then if the pipes alone are heated in a
freezing crawlspace, it will not take long to freeze, but if the whole
crawlspace was, say, 15 C, then it would take a lot longer to cool off,
by which time the power would be back up.

Safest is to drain them , put antifreeze in
traps and have no worry. Im set up so its a 1 minute job, turn off main,
open line drain, open faucets, pour in antifreeze. Then I also dont have
the cost of wasted heat.

I agree that this is the safest way to go, but I was hoping to avoid
having to go through that every week or two. I was hoping that there
is a solution that works that would avoid it.

Thanks again,

Gideon