Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Dean Hoffman

Default Burning corn - Get popcorn?

In article ,
"Bill" wrote:

The thought just occured to me that if you were burning dried out corn cobs,
you might get popcorn!

Does this happen?

Doubtful. Popcorn pops because it has a harder shell and due to the
water in the kernel. A quick rundown he
http://www.cyberspaceag.com/kansascr...ypesofcorn.htm
More info he
http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/value/factsheets/corn.htm
I still remember my Dad and his neighbors picking corn in the ear.
It was stored in the old corn cribs or in corn piles. The piles were
put on 1x12 boards. Cribbing was used as a round wall.
Farmers would get together to shell the corn. The grain was hauled to
town and the cobs put in a pile. Some of the cobs were put in a
building to keep them dry for use as fuel for a stove. The rest were
burned just to get rid of them as I remember.
I remember some of the corn was ground ear and all. It was then fed
to cattle. They got a little roughage along with the grain that way.
The old corn pickers are pretty much history in my area. Most farmers
combine the corn and haul in just the grain. The cobs stay out in the
fields.
Seed corn companies still harvest corn in the ear. They shell and dry
the corn in the processing plants. The cobs are processed for a number
of different things now:
http://www.greenproducts.com/applications.htm

Dean