Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Bill

Default Burning corn - Get popcorn?

The thought just occured to me that if you were burning dried out corn cobs,
you might get popcorn!

Does this happen?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:04:21 -0800, Bill wrote:
The thought just occured to me that if you were burning dried out corn cobs,
you might get popcorn! Does this happen?

Hard to say - I didnt' know anyone was burning cobs - not a lot of heat
content for the volume.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
louie

I don't know much about burning corn, but I would think the kernels are
where the heat would come from (starch). If the kernels were dry
enough, they shouldn't pop - since it's expanding steam that causes
popcorn to explode.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Duane Bozarth

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:04:21 -0800, Bill wrote:
The thought just occured to me that if you were burning dried out corn cobs,
you might get popcorn! Does this happen?

Hard to say - I didnt' know anyone was burning cobs - not a lot of heat
content for the volume.

There are at least some producers who do burn cobs since they are an
available otherwise of little balue byproduct--don't know of much other
use, however.

As a note, there's no corn on a cob after harvested...

But, as louie noted, if it's dry grain, there's insufficient moisture to
effectively pop kernels. Regular corn doesn't pop all that well
anyway--it will pop if wet, but not nearly as well as popping corn.
Popping corns are specific varieties bred for the purpose.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
mdonahoe

just as another thought, popcorn is a specific genetic thread of
corn... You'll never get a pop out of sweet corn or yellow corn....

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Duane Bozarth

mdonahoe wrote:

just as another thought, popcorn is a specific genetic thread of
corn... You'll never get a pop out of sweet corn or yellow corn....

That's not true--if the moisture content is high, it _will_ pop, just
not as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Gary Dyrkacz

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:15:40 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

It more complicated than that. Moisture is not the only factor. The
corn has to have a low porosity outer coat to trap the gases in long
enough for the pressure to build up. Popping corn is a specific seed
variety breed for that characteristic.

mdonahoe wrote:

just as another thought, popcorn is a specific genetic thread of
corn... You'll never get a pop out of sweet corn or yellow corn....

That's not true--if the moisture content is high, it _will_ pop, just
not as well.

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Dean Hoffman

In article ,
"Bill" wrote:

The thought just occured to me that if you were burning dried out corn cobs,
you might get popcorn!

Does this happen?

Doubtful. Popcorn pops because it has a harder shell and due to the
water in the kernel. A quick rundown he
http://www.cyberspaceag.com/kansascr...ypesofcorn.htm
More info he
http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/value/factsheets/corn.htm
I still remember my Dad and his neighbors picking corn in the ear.
It was stored in the old corn cribs or in corn piles. The piles were
put on 1x12 boards. Cribbing was used as a round wall.
Farmers would get together to shell the corn. The grain was hauled to
town and the cobs put in a pile. Some of the cobs were put in a
building to keep them dry for use as fuel for a stove. The rest were
burned just to get rid of them as I remember.
I remember some of the corn was ground ear and all. It was then fed
to cattle. They got a little roughage along with the grain that way.
The old corn pickers are pretty much history in my area. Most farmers
combine the corn and haul in just the grain. The cobs stay out in the
fields.
Seed corn companies still harvest corn in the ear. They shell and dry
the corn in the processing plants. The cobs are processed for a number
of different things now:
http://www.greenproducts.com/applications.htm

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Duane Bozarth

wrote:

It more complicated than that. Moisture is not the only factor. The
corn has to have a low porosity outer coat to trap the gases in long
enough for the pressure to build up. Popping corn is a specific seed
variety breed for that characteristic.

I said that...field corn _will_ pop, just not as successfully as popping
corn.

We even popped milo as a treat at least once every fall from earliest
harvest before frost. Only about a 50% popping rate or so and tiny
kernels, but fun to do as kids...
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Harry K

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:04:21 -0800, Bill wrote:
The thought just occured to me that if you were burning dried out corn cobs,
you might get popcorn! Does this happen?

Hard to say - I didnt' know anyone was burning cobs - not a lot of heat
content for the volume.

It was common back when to use cobs in the cookstoves. It did require
regular feeding but the advantage was hot fires and quick cool down
after use.

Harry K