Ed Sievers

Default Clean shops.

I am a self admitted slob in my shop, but recently found some great metal
box's scrapped from the Florida vote system. They held punched cards,
and was lucky enough to find an aluminum baking rack on wheels they just
nested in. Now I have a rack of 20 filled with small odds & ends that I
can move freely around the shop.
The local scrap dealer in Ft.Myers is kind enough to let people wander at
will in his yard to pick, and choose. Hope nothing happens to end it all as it
is a real candy store for me.
Things are a lot neater now.....well at least until all the box's get full.
Ed Sievers

In article ,
says...

I am a died-in-the-wool junkie. That is, EVERYTHING looks like raw
material to me. It is a character fault, but one which my boss
recognized and in this recognization, kept me out of the cleanup
details. He knew I would just put everything in boxes and find a
place to store the boxes. Whenever the lab needed a cleaning, he
would assign people to it that could make reasonable decisions about
what should go to the dumpster. I would be in the dumpster after work
looking to see if they had thrown away anything interesting.
Dumpster-stuff is fair game for the garage at home.

I would also check the machine shop scrap bins whenever I walked by.
Many times I would find a cache of drill bits, mill cutters and a file
or two. I can just imagine... the guy's boss walks by saying "This
area is a pigsty! Clean it up!".
The machinist is busy, working on something he knows is hot. So he
gets a box, sweeps everything from his bench into the box and throws
it into the dumpster. He can get new drills, files, etc. from the
tool crib for asking anyway.

Brownnsharp