Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Foster

Default Painting Metal Doors

wrote in message
oups.com...
One would usually use an oil base paint for a metal apartment door,
wouldn't one?

Then why are the painters drying my door with a *hair dryer*?

I mean if it was latex, and it dried by actual evaporation, I guess
that would make sense. But oil base dries by oxidation of oils, not by
evaporation unless you use a thinner or extender. Right? So raising the
temperature of the paint increases the O2 rate by something like
Twith/Twithout. At least it seems it should, whereas raising the
temperature of a latex would change the vapor pressure of the water in
the paint, a nonlinear, concave upward curve.

It takes something like eight hours for oil base to dry. What possible
good could five minutes with a hair dryer do?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Yours,

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research
Falls Church, VA 22044-0394

Some sort of epoxy paint that has to be a certain minimum temp. to cure,
maybe?

Jerry