Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
Swingman

Default OT - Spanking...Should You or Shouldn't You?

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message

I was spanked as a child , but was WARNED that it would happen if I
continued disobeying my folks, and they followed through with the threat
even if they didn't really want to. I believe it taught me that there are
consequences for my actions. And, looking back, I KNOW I respected them

more
than I would have if all they ever did was threaten to punish me and never
did. (This is a problem with a lot of today's kids) I raise mine kids the
same way. Spanking is NOT done out of anger, and if you threaten it and
follow through with it when needed, kids will know you mean business and
generally will correct their behavior without having to resort to

paddling.
(which, by the way I DO NOT consider corporal punishment) I WILL NOT

tell
a child numerous times to stop with the bad behavior. First time, a

polite
"stop that". Second time "stop that or I'll paddle your behind". Third
time...well, it generally doesn't go that far, but I am I man of my
word.... --dave

Bingo ... too bad there's not more parents with that attitude, and uncommon
sense, in this day and age. The concept is time honored simplicity when
training animals ... discipline/reward is only effective as the immediate
consequence of an undesirable/desirable action, respectively.

You smack a horse/dog/animal, or a kid, without the culprit knowing what it
is they're getting whacked for, and you get a renegade.

All my dad had to do (after that first initiation), was reach for his belt
buckle ... like Pavlov's dog we knew kids immediately what NOT to do.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05