Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony

Default Garage door opener question

"yourname" wrote in message
news:yaogf.4495$BU2.1276@trndny01...

And how many more others do you suggest I contact before recognizing

that a
store-bought unit just is not built well enough for my door? I want
something that works BEFORE springtime.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I have an 18 foot wide, 8 foot high cedar insulated door. It weighs IIRC
800lbs. I have a screw type store bought opener. It has no problem.

It would have this mysterious symptom. close almost all the way down,
then stop reverse and open. Drove me nuts. turned out it was the stupid
rope getting in the way of the sensors. Happened again last week, after
not having it happen for more than a year. Rope wasn't in the way[tied a
knot in it] Looking looking, checking switches.......there was a tiny
leaf, suspended on a spider web on the door, dangling in front of the
sensor.

My neighbors door faces a bit more west than mine, and clearer in front
of it. wouldn't work in the afternoon. The sun glitched the sensors.

Problem is all day and all night when it happens. Door is facing north.
Checked the sensors first and they are clear and the indicator light is on.
It only does this in cold weather. It does it no matter what the opener is.
When the opener is brand new it doesn't happen often. Next season it
happens to the point it is impossible for the opener to open or close the
door EVER. I end up having ot disconnect the opener and open and close by
hand. I am getting a NEW commercial grade opener from someone who will do
the servicing. I am tired of spending 15 winters with this problem and
having various garage door companies telling me the same exact thing, the
door is fine.

duct tape the sensors together and try the door.

Wasn't it sherlock holmes? When you eliminate the impossible, whatever
remains, no matter how improbable, must be the answer.