DoN. Nichols

Default Composition of low melt temp fixturing alloy

In article ,
John Flanagan wrote:
On 15 Jul 2003 09:15:16 -0700, (Stan Schaefer)
wrote:

[ ... ]

I think you'll find that making your own low-melting alloys will be a
lot more costly than you think. Bismuth in particular isn't cheap

[ ... ]

The lead and tin I have. Bismuth I can get for $10-$15/lb. Which
works out to around $6/lb in the alloy (50% Bismuth). The cadmium I
don't know where to find.

The only sources of small amounts of cadmium that I know of are the
lab suppliers and they might be getting a little reluctant to do

[ ... ]

Somebody's got it somewhere I'll find it sooner or later, I'm in no
hurry. I made a rocket nozzle and would like to make it thinner so
filling the interior up with this material would really do the trick.

I *hope* that you mean to use this as support while spinning the
nozzle down smaller. The thought of a nozzle whose contour was being
changed by a layer of low-melting alloy strikes me as rather exciting in
service, shall we say? :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |