Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

Default Fein Multimaster - Is there a cheaper alternative

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:56:52 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
oozed several words purporting to be english:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

Do you actually have a Multimaster?

No. need as a few other cheaper alternative does what it does, and even
more.

have you even used one?

Nope

Then you can't possibly have any reasonable chance of giving any
balanced comment on the matter. I bought one more or less based solely
on the literature that came bundled with an Axminster promotion a
couple of years ago. I took a chance as I needed a detail sander and
having relied on circular or rectangular orbital ones before the
ability to power finish right into a corner was essential for this
particular job - without making a number of customised backing plates
the air tools I had previously used just couldn't give me access (but
having said that the air motors were extremely light and also
relatively vibration free)

I had seen, and more importantly tried most that is available from the
most basic B&Q/B&D/Bosch/DeWalt/Wickes etc up to around the 200 quid
mark. With most I would end up with vibration white finger in
literally minutes, the dust extraction facilities were also usually
none existent, the finish they provided was only just passable. They
might be useful for a one off *tiny* household project but nothing
more. The "Blue" Bosch was just about ok for sanding at around 80 quid
but far less versatile than the Multimaster, and there were also
others (paying for the name) that were way too expensive at 200 quid
for nothing but a basic sander. And shock, horror, I even dismissed
Makita (although their filing sander is simply superb)

I ended up picking up the Multimaster in a cheap package as damaged
stock, in reality just the corners of the cardboard box were dented,
for around 100 quid (reduced from 140) and was still unsure if it
would be all it was cracked up to be. But the reality is for a lot of
jobs the Multimaster is way better than they claim. Having said that,
for extended use some form of anti-vibration grip/sleeve would be
extremely useful. For the job I bought it for which has specific
access issues that only the Multimaster can solve "off the shelf" it
has saved me literally hundreds of pounds and at the end of the day
that, and the quality of the finish is all that matters. The range of
the attachments is so wide I doubt you'd ever use them all but no
other manufacturer, even across a number of tools has *anything* that
comes close to the wide range of jobs it can tackle. The era of having
a bunch of half assed clone copies of dubious build quality passed me
by years ago. Others, surprisingly maybe even ones who just peer at
catalogues all day, might have lower standards and a desire for
shelves full of spare tools just in case one goes wrong but not me.

Also for (almost) invisibly lifting sections of floorboards it has to
my eyes absolutely no equal.

(no connection with any of the companies mentioned, just a satisfied
user)