Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geoffrey

Default Council tax and new ways..........

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:00:32 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:03:49 +0000, Mark wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:23:59 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:25:10 GMT, Geoffrey
wrote:

I am not missing the point at all. You want schools to be subject to
market forces. I think that is a Bad Idea.

That's your choice. Higher education is certainly subject to market
forces. I see no reason why that shouldn't apply to all forms of what
we understand as state services today, including all forms of
education and healthcare.

And look what a mess higher education is in now!

Quite. It would have been far better to have left it alone and not
have attempted to make every establishment a "university".

Absolutely. There is nothing wrong with technical colleges and no
reason to "rebrand" them with the title of University.

I don't believe higher education should be subject to market forces
either. There are some things (such as education, healthcare and
public transport) that are too important to leave to the money men.
These things should NOT have anything to do with profit.

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.