Gary Coffman

Default Survival Steam Engine Question

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:19:12 GMT, (John Flanagan) wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:04:48 GMT,
(Gary Coffman)
wrote:

Better to learn to reload, or how to load and use a muzzleloader. Making
your own BP isn't that difficult, for that matter, nitrating cotton isn't that hard.
Mercuric chloride has a shelf life of centuries, so stockpiling sufficient
priming compound isn't beyond the realm of possibility, but you could fall
back on the flintlock if necessary.

Mercuric chloride can be used as a primary?

I may be mixing up the chemistry of the mercuric and chlorate primer
mixtures. But either one has proven to have an incredibly long storage
life. I've fired ammo loaded for WWI, and it still works just fine.

Gary