Gary Coffman

Default Survival Steam Engine Question

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:09:54 GMT, (John Flanagan) wrote:
How did you crack the corn? I thought the term was to mash it?

We bought it already cracked (coarse ground). The mash is the mixture of water
and the cracked grain. You gently cook that to convert the starches to sugars,
then drain off the liquid, full of dissolved sugar, and ferment that. You can start
the fermentation in the mash, that gives the distinctive sour mash flavor. But if
you're shooting for maximum alcohol content, you just use the sugar water you
produced, and feed the cooked cracked grain to the hogs. They'll mask the
smell.

Gary