Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

Default Garage door opener question

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

How would a lightning strike cause it to open part way or close part way,
and then reverse? How would a lightning strike only cause the problem in
cold weather? ALL the openers do the same thing, sense an overload and
reverses. Raise the opening and closing force and it works for a short
time. Raise the force to max and it still does this! I am ready for a

new
opener with service support to come and deal with the situation if it

arises
again. I'll let THEM deal with it. Hence the original question regarding
Chamberlain LiftMaster versus the Allstar. Any comments on the question
instead your lack of suggestions?

I had a problem with a Chamberlain a few years ago. I am trying to remember
just what the symptoms were. I think it would only close part way. Maybe
only move a few inches and then reverse. I came to the conclusion that it
was quite likely the RPM sensor.

Something like this unit:

http://www.aaaremotes.com/lifgaroprpms.html

For the price I decided to give it a try. Put in a new one and it has been
running fine ever since. I remember that the new one I ordered looked like
a more sturdy design.