Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony

Default Garage door opener question

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
m...
Mike Dobony wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
" Maybe someone needs to take another look at the door or the
mounting of
the openers. There just should not be that many failures. If the
door is
properly installed and a properly sized opener or any make properly
installed should be able to function. "

I agree. And has the door been checked out during cold weather,
which is apparently the problem? A garage door shouldn't be very
different in opening force in cold weather. It's possible something
is shrinking and binding. What kind of lubricant is on it?

With the opener disconnected, the door should move easily up and down
with one hand. At about the mid-point of travel, it should be just
about balanced so that it will stay there if you let it go.

It has been professionally checked in cold weather operates fine by
hand, but not with the various openers. The door was also
professionally installed. I have tried a tremendous variety of
lubridants, none of which makes any lasting change (longer than 1
day). The rollers are all free-wheeling. None of them is ever
sticking. I have to check to see if thye are the cheap plastic
bushing rollers or good all metal ones. If plastic, I will change
them out.

Checked or not there is some thing wrong with the door, it's
installation or the installation of the openers. Of course it is possible
all those openers were defective, but it is also possible they were all

hit
by lightning.

How would a lightning strike cause it to open part way or close part way,
and then reverse? How would a lightning strike only cause the problem in
cold weather? ALL the openers do the same thing, sense an overload and
reverses. Raise the opening and closing force and it works for a short
time. Raise the force to max and it still does this! I am ready for a new
opener with service support to come and deal with the situation if it arises
again. I'll let THEM deal with it. Hence the original question regarding
Chamberlain LiftMaster versus the Allstar. Any comments on the question
instead your lack of suggestions?

You just have not yet found the problem.

And neither have the pros! Therefore I am ready to get something better
than the DIY openers found in the stores and have someone else do the
install AND the service.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit