Bob G

Default Survival Steam Engine Question

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 05:36:06 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:26:41 GMT, "Bob Swinney"
wrote:

"Would it be possible to convert an internal combustion engine, for example
a VW engine, to run on steam?"

That has been done according to a series in that ran "Live Steam Magazine"
several years ago. I believe it was the Barrett VW. It operated on steam
from a flash-type boiler.

Bob Swinney

Thats interesting! I thought Id heard of something along those lines
so brougth it up.

Gunner

Perhaps not the same VW engine setup mentioned above, but this fellow
seems to have done an engine conversion.

http://www.clubvw.org.au/ssssssteam_heat.htm

The problem is his method would seem to involve a bit more precision
machining than might be easily possible, at least at first, after some
major TEOTWAWKI event. By an average person.

I found the reading of this site interesting. It would seem that in
some places, for various reasons, they've converted diesel locomotive
engines to run on steam power.

http://www.messiaen.demon.co.uk/trai...m/modern11.htm

Bob