John Flanagan

Default Survival Steam Engine Question

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:32:26 -0500, "David J. Hughes"
wrote:

@ 6.5 lbs of Glucose from any source will ferment to produce
@ 1 gallon of 180 proof ethanol.
A minimum of 10,000 B.T.U. will be needed for the distillation
process, unless you can come up with really efficient strain of yeast.
(Better than 12 to 15 % alcohol before the yeast dies from its own
waste products.)
More likely you get only 4 to 6 % alcohol before distillation, so
you'll need 20 to 60 K BTU per gallon of fuel grade alcohol.

There's a new yeast on the market now that claims you can get 18% to
20% mash strengths, Turbo yeast it's called. And, the wild thing is
that it's supposed to complete fermentation in 2 days! Imagine that,
18 pounds of sugar in 5 gallons water fermenting completely in 2 days
to give you 18% mash. I bet the carboy must dance on the floor it's
so fast.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get.
So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.