Dave Plowman

Default Chasing computer wiring (Cat-5) into plaster over brick wall

In article ,
Simon Avery wrote:
Which is the big single drawback on wired networks - replacing of
damaged wiring. Whether it's buried in plaster or hanging from poles,
it's expensive and time consuming to fix.

Properly installed domestic wiring is very unlikely to suffer damage. I
*know* some have suffered rodent damage, but it's pretty rare. Overhead
wiring is something else - but then it's done like that for cheapness, not
reliability.

Also, wonder why the mobile phone companies link to their base stations
with cables if RF has such advantages?

Here's a question; Why do mobile phone charges cost more than
landline? Surely landlines require much larger initial investment, but
running costs must be fairly similar?

Supply and demand. The average punter expects to pay more for mobile
running costs. That and the huge sums paid out for licences, and the ever
hopeful introduction of new 'improved' technology that they pray we'll pay
for.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn