larry g

Default Restoring/cleaning a bevel protractor

I like to use a product "hoppes #9" gun cleaning solvent. It dissolves
than buildup of oily dirty gunk that gets in tools over time without
damaging. It leaves behind a light film of lube. If you don't have this
product in Europe look for a gun barrel cleaning solvent.
lg
no neat sig line
"GeoffH" wrote in message
Hi all,
I have just purchased a Moore & Wright No. 994 bevel protractor at a
car boot sale.
( I had better explain - in the UK a car boot (trunk) sale is where
people gather in a designated field or specially prepared site and
hold a yard sale to get rid of unwanted items)
The protractor is a bit dirty with just a little rust on the large
center nut.
I need suggestions please on the best way to get it back to original
condition.
Are the degree markings just plain or do they have black ink/paint or
what in them?
I see that the one similar selling over here has a small magnifier to
make reading the degrees easier.
The one I got does not have a magnifier, so blacking the
engravings would help to read them. No problem 10 years ago but age
creeps up rapidly with the inevitable eyesight deterioration :-8
Any help appreciated.
Regards

Geoff Halstead
Norfolk, England