Vaughn

Default Survival Steam Engine Question

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:47:01 -0400, Dave wrote:

Solar is nice, but the cost of the infrastructure to utilize it is
very cost prohibitive, when one considers the numbers of solar banks,
batteries, inverters etc etc one needs to get enough power to do Work.

Compared to your suggested steam engine with the auto
alternator/generator this is an amazing statement. First of all, both of
those setups would need an inverter if you want AC and a battery if you want
to store energy.

Depending on your shopping skills and your scrounging/building skills
(which are typically considerable on this group) you can have a solar setup
for $3.00 to $5.00 per watt. That means for (say) $1,500 you could have
about 400 watts which is about 30 amps at 12 volts. The assumed life of a
solar cell is about 50 years and you don't need any flash boiler, you don't
need to cut any wood, and you don't need any stinking fire. If you are a
survivalist, it also means that you can keep a much lower profile because
there is no noise and no smoke. All that time you would otherwise be using
to scrounge fuel and tend hot, cranky machinery, you could much better use
killing (or planting) food.

I have a dead-simple 100 watt system that runs my yard lights and keeps
by generator battery charged, I typically look at it about once every three
months. Like the Energizer Bunny it just keeps going and going...

Vaughn