Gary Coffman

Default Survival Steam Engine Question

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:18:49 GMT, Ted Edwards wrote:
jim rozen wrote:

Water, food, sanitation. Probably in that order.
Hand pump, .22 for shooting squirrels, and an outhouse.

No matter how much amo you realistically store, sooner or later you will
run out. Better to learn to shoot a bow. Buy a good one and some
arrows and start practising using it. Also learn how to make a bow and
arrows as a back up. Once you have the skill, you are set for life.
You lnow the old saying, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach him how to fish and you feed him for life."

Better to learn to reload, or how to load and use a muzzleloader. Making
your own BP isn't that difficult, for that matter, nitrating cotton isn't that hard.
Mercuric chloride has a shelf life of centuries, so stockpiling sufficient
priming compound isn't beyond the realm of possibility, but you could fall
back on the flintlock if necessary.

Conserving powder and shot when possible is a good idea, though. I'd
suggest you make a crossbow (should be lots of car springs around
after TEOTWAWKI). More accurate, more powerful, and easier for
someone familiar with firearms to operate. 10 inch carriage bolts make
wonderful quarrels. I made one from Old Chevy Spring, that would shoot
through a concrete block wall with plenty of energy remaining to do damage
on the other side. (don't ask)

Gary