Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

Default Connecting a 110 Volt 300 watt generator to a 220 Volt panel

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
(snip)
Don't do it, because it's tremendously wasteful, and when you're on a

generator,
it's a bad time to waste power.

It's more effective/useful to buy an 120V electric kettle (it'll
cost less than the adapter cord alone and doesn't require screwing around
with the HWT circuit or the inevitable code violations). Heats a lot
faster too. Or use a propane stove.

[240V to a 120V water heater also works okay, for a couple of weeks, then
the elements eventually fry.]

He wants to be able to take a hot shower, even if it is only a very short
one. Hard to do that with a teakettle. I can stand sponge baths for a day or
three at most, personally- if I can't get a shower, or a
warm-enough-to-jump-in lake/river by then, I get Real Cranky. That much, I
do understand. Rather than screw around with hot-wiring an electric heater,
if gas service was available, I'd put in a gas water heater.

aem sends...

aem sends...