MikeM

Default Survival Steam Engine Question

Bill Janssen wrote in message ...
After reading some of the other comments I still think it would be a fun project.
All I want is one or two horsepower driving a car alternator. I would prefer
a boiler that could take wood as the fuel but any fuel would be OK.

Probably won't ever build such a device but I would like to.

Bill K7NOM

The Sept.-Oct. 1978 issue of Popular Machining ran an article about
converting a 2-cylinder York automotive AC compressor to a steam
engine that would deliver 1/2 hp at 1000 rpm on 50 psi steam, they
said this would power a 12V alternator at 30A output. The original
compressor block, crankshaft & pistons were used, with a specially
machined head and a spool valve actuated by an external rod and
eccentric, operated by an extension on the crank. There are no
drawings, apparently they were available separately for $5.00 from the
publisher.
Mike.