Posted to rec.woodworking
B Man

Default Gloat - Makita Lithium Ion Kit

Just picked up my Makita Lithium Ion kit. In a word - awesome!

My PC 14.4 drill (that I was never totally happy with) had weakening
batteries (I think I saw the charger blink maybe?) that became my excuse.
The mail in for a "free" (you gotta send $15 for S&H) recip saw became the
motivation, and Midnight Madness at my buddy's store became the opportunity.

I haven't used up a full charge yet, but this sure seems like a well
designed set of tools. The motor on the drill has 4 magnets - makes for a
much smoother motor that you can really feel. The charger has a cooling fan
to keep the battery cool during a charge. The battery has a chip in it that
can be read to determine it's exact history.

On the down side, I took my PC drill into one of those "new 2 you" stores
and they offered me $30 for the drill (with case, charger and two
batteries). I kept it upstairs - for those occations when I need a drill
while doing something up there and don't feel like running out to the shop
for it. I figure if I use it as a hammer it's better than the $30.

Brian