Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default OT----Opinions requested on a moral dillema

On 19 Nov 2005 07:26:25 -0800, "rigger" wrote:

Harold said:
Thanks to this thread, I have now started plonking folks.

Hmmm, I wonder if I'm on the list. I guess I'll go ahead and find out.

There are also other ways to handle online people who have no control
over their actions. I just hate to see anyone forced to retreat (my
definition) from an online confrontation. Easier might be to merely
ignore their posts, which is my approach. I feel a little cleaner this
way. Just a personal thing.

I'm sure suggesting everyone in New York was impaired was never on your
mind and, in fact, your statement didn't read that way at all. Instead
I see you doing the correct thing necessary for survival which was
"profiling". Profiling is in bad repute now but if anyone here has
lived in a large city they realize it's a necessary tool.
Example: "Watch out when traveling in certain areas of Chicago,
especially at night." (Anyone with knowledge of any other large city
can duplicate this statement to match their area of familiarity.) Does
this mean everyone in these areas is a dangerous person?
No!!! Does the answer "No" mean I'd let my guard down in these areas?
HELL no. For those with a very high "PC" rating let them take the
risk; I've got a family and I wouldn't jepordize their future (to say
nothing of my own) by ignoring what I know to be true.

I've lived in large cities and tiny towns and it's easy to state
without reservation: You'd be better off raising your personal
security/observation level when in ANY large city vs. a small town (New
York included). I think most agree this is so obvious as to be beyond
discussion as was your suggestion people (as a group) behave
differently in any large city as opposed to a less crowded invironment
(New York included).

I'd even propose the rediculous inspections of passengers at airports
is the dehumanizing process it is because people are afraid to use
their common sense and are afraid they won't be PC. The police are
often dragged out in public and flayed over profiling when anyone with
a mere smidgen of intelligence realizes this is an essential tool of
their trade.

Stick with what you've been taught and learned through the years to be
true and ignore the ranting of the uneducated. If these people can't
learn from your experience let them learn the hard way.

dennis
in nca

http://www.teddytactical.com/Sharpen...0Awareness.htm

Gunner