Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Default Stupid question of the day!

Sam,

The cable must connect to the cable modem and then goes to the router.
The CAT5 plugs into the router, but better yet, in your case you need to
go wireless. Get a Wireless-G router which has the speed you want. The
normal range is about 200-300 feet. Someone with experience can help
you set up the necessary security. As for the speed issue, the cable
company controls the speed depending on what you pay for. There are
several levels of speed available and they are controlled by the MAC
address of your cable modem. I really believe that once you go wireless
you will be glad you did. The router normally has four hard wired ports
that you can plug into and you can have almost unlimited wireless. The
wireless at the computer end can be USB, an internal card, a plug-in
card for a laptop and maybe a couple more.

Joey

Sam S. wrote:

I'm running a cable line and have to drill through some carpet. I don't
want the bit to catch or snag the carpet, and maybe pull a thread so it
ruins the entire rug. How does one drill through carpet? Cut it first?

Thanks,

Sam