Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam S.

Default Stupid question of the day!

I'm running a cable line and have to drill through some carpet. I don't want
the bit to catch or snag the carpet, and maybe pull a thread so it ruins the
entire rug. How does one drill through carpet? Cut it first?

Thanks,

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Sam S. wrote:

I'm running a cable line and have to drill through some carpet. I don't
want the bit to catch or snag the carpet, and maybe pull a thread so it
ruins the entire rug. How does one drill through carpet? Cut it first?

Thanks,

Sam

Hi,
How about using a Exacto knife kind. carefully cut a hole, don't drill.
Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Sam S." wrote in message

I'm running a cable line and have to drill through some carpet. I don't

want
the bit to catch or snag the carpet, and maybe pull a thread so it ruins

the
entire rug. How does one drill through carpet? Cut it first?

Thanks,

Sam

Not dumb at all. That is a really smart question!

Cutting first is the best option but hard to do for such a small hole.

If drilling from the top I would "part" the carpet to expose the backing,
use a slow speed cordless. If you notice the fiber wrapping around the bit.
STOP and regroup.

Your greatest risk is with a Berber or other continuous loop carpet.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

Cut an X in the carpet and tape or hold back the carpet, then drill your
hole. The carpet will just then fit around the cable. If you drill the
carpet it will probally catch a tread and then ruin the carpet.

"Sam S." wrote in message

I'm running a cable line and have to drill through some carpet. I don't
want the bit to catch or snag the carpet, and maybe pull a thread so it
ruins the entire rug. How does one drill through carpet? Cut it first?

Thanks,

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

i think cutting a slit in it would work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Sam S." wrote in message

I'm running a cable line and have to drill through some carpet. I don't

want
the bit to catch or snag the carpet, and maybe pull a thread so it ruins

the
entire rug. How does one drill through carpet? Cut it first?

Thanks,

Sam

Not dumb at all. That is a really smart question!

Cutting first is the best option but hard to do for such a small hole.

If drilling from the top I would "part" the carpet to expose the backing,
use a slow speed cordless. If you notice the fiber wrapping around the

bit.
STOP and regroup.

Your greatest risk is with a Berber or other continuous loop carpet.

Best solution is to use an old-work low-voltage plate, and put the outlet in
the wall where it belongs. Fifteen bucks or so will buy the long drill bit,
keyhole saw and needed hardware. Additional outlets even cheaper, since you
already have the tools. Second best solution is to drill through the quarter
round and the bottom of the baseboard. Most cable installs, especially the
'free' installations, are hack jobs, in my experience.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Sam S. wrote:

I'm running a cable line and have to drill through some carpet. I don't
want the bit to catch or snag the carpet, and maybe pull a thread so it
ruins the entire rug. How does one drill through carpet? Cut it first?

Thanks,

Sam

You don't want to drill the pile, especially if it is Berber. Take fine
scissors and gut pile out of the spot you are going to use. Just for
added insurance, I would put a some glue on the spot and let it dry.
Use a utility knife or xacto to cut out the hole. Why are you going
through carpet?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam S.

"Norminn" wrote
Why are you going through carpet?

You would have to see the set up of my place, to really understand it.

This is for my computer. The cable installer gave me three options, and I
thought of another, but didn't want him to do it.

My computer room is in the front of my house, I live in a bi-level.

Option 1: Run cable around front door, hide the cable in a shadow line of
the siding, and come through wall. You would still be able to see the cable,
but I would probably be the only one who would notice it.

Option 2: Fish the cable through the wall, go into the attic, out a vent and
down the side of the house.

Option 3: Run the cable into the laundry room (back of house), use a router
and wireless something or other. I had the router, and he gave me the
exterior card, or whatever they're called.

My brother which is computer savvy, called the guy a lazy SOB, because he
says my cable should be hooked directly to the computer, then the router
etc. He named off numerous reasons including security, I'm only getting
about half the speed I should (although I'm thrilled with it compared to
dial up), and some other reasons I can't remember.

Anyways, the cable can be run through the unfinished ceiling in the laundry
room, into the garage which has a finished ceiling along with HVAC ducts,
along the ceiling corner where garage door wires are run, and up through to
the computer room. Only about 10 ft of cable wire will be seen in the
garage. BTW, I won't be putting any holes into the duct work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Sam S." wrote in message
My brother which is computer savvy, called the guy a lazy SOB, because he
says my cable should be hooked directly to the computer, then the router
etc. He named off numerous reasons including security,

You may want to verify the above. I really think your cable should go to
your cable modem and then to your router for maximum security. From your
router it should go to each computer. Otherwise everything on your computer
is an open network to anyone who knows how to hack.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Daly

On 19-Nov-2005, "Sam S." wrote:

Option 1: ...
Option 2: ...
Option 3: ...

Option 4 - run the cable to some convenient place and attach it to the cable
modem at the entry point. Connect the modem to a wireless router. Add
a wireless connection to your computer. That minimizes the cable run and
ensures that you only need to drill one hole to whatever entry point you
decide. This can be in the basement/utility room/whatever.

If you already have cable for TV, you can put the modem/router at that point
unless the cable company insists on separate runs for TV and Internet.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam S.

"Colbyt" wrote

You may want to verify the above. I really think your cable should go to
your cable modem and then to your router for maximum security. From your
router it should go to each computer. Otherwise everything on your
computer
is an open network to anyone who knows how to hack.

Colbyt

LOL, yeah, what you said!

Right now, there's no cable running to my main computer. There lies the
security issue, I guess.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam S.

"Michael Daly" wrote

Option 4 - run the cable to some convenient place and attach it to the
cable
modem at the entry point. Connect the modem to a wireless router. Add
a wireless connection to your computer. That minimizes the cable run and
ensures that you only need to drill one hole to whatever entry point you
decide. This can be in the basement/utility room/whatever.

This is the way it is set up now. I forgot to put the modem in there.
Brother says this is a security issue. Also, why I'm getting half the speed
I should.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shaun Eli

How about hammering a nail through to make a hole?

Shaun Eli
http://www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for the Smart Mind (sm)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Sam,

The cable must connect to the cable modem and then goes to the router.
The CAT5 plugs into the router, but better yet, in your case you need to
go wireless. Get a Wireless-G router which has the speed you want. The
normal range is about 200-300 feet. Someone with experience can help
you set up the necessary security. As for the speed issue, the cable
company controls the speed depending on what you pay for. There are
several levels of speed available and they are controlled by the MAC
address of your cable modem. I really believe that once you go wireless
you will be glad you did. The router normally has four hard wired ports
that you can plug into and you can have almost unlimited wireless. The
wireless at the computer end can be USB, an internal card, a plug-in
card for a laptop and maybe a couple more.

Joey

Sam S. wrote:

I'm running a cable line and have to drill through some carpet. I don't
want the bit to catch or snag the carpet, and maybe pull a thread so it
ruins the entire rug. How does one drill through carpet? Cut it first?

Thanks,

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair
fsteddie

Colbyt wrote:
"Sam S." wrote in message

I'm running a cable line and have to drill through some carpet. I don't

want

the bit to catch or snag the carpet, and maybe pull a thread so it ruins

the

entire rug. How does one drill through carpet? Cut it first?

Thanks,

Sam

Not dumb at all. That is a really smart question!

Cutting first is the best option but hard to do for such a small hole.

If drilling from the top I would "part" the carpet to expose the backing,
use a slow speed cordless. If you notice the fiber wrapping around the bit.
STOP and regroup.

Your greatest risk is with a Berber or other continuous loop carpet.

Colbyt

Heat up a large nail w/propane torch and melt a spot where you want to
drill before drilling

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Sam S. wrote:

"Norminn" wrote

Why are you going through carpet?

You would have to see the set up of my place, to really understand it.

This is for my computer. The cable installer gave me three options, and
I thought of another, but didn't want him to do it.

My computer room is in the front of my house, I live in a bi-level.

Why not bury the cable and bring it through the wall nearest where it
will be used, or am I missing something?
Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB

"Sam S." wrote in message

I'm running a cable line and have to drill through some carpet. I don't
want the bit to catch or snag the carpet, and maybe pull a thread so it
ruins the entire rug. How does one drill through carpet? Cut it first?

Thanks,

Sam

Use a carpet drill!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 03:01:03 GMT, "Sam S." wrote:

"Michael Daly" wrote

Option 4 - run the cable to some convenient place and attach it to the
cable
modem at the entry point. Connect the modem to a wireless router. Add
a wireless connection to your computer. That minimizes the cable run and
ensures that you only need to drill one hole to whatever entry point you
decide. This can be in the basement/utility room/whatever.

This is the way it is set up now. I forgot to put the modem in there.
Brother says this is a security issue. Also, why I'm getting half the speed
I should.

The cable company can check the cable and tell you the bandwidth you
are getting. While they were installing the cable they should have
tested it then. Your speed can be slow for reasons like time of day
(kids out of school, file downloads, and the number of houses on your
"node"). Ask the cable tech support to see what actual bandwidth you
have been assigned. They can change the "throttling" to give you more
or less, but then more bandwidth cost more dollars.

For the security; hopefully your router has a default firewall, BUT
Windows Operating system is your biggest enemy as it installs so your
system is open to attack right out of the box.

Gibson Research is a good source for testing your machine. Do the
"Shields up" ("The Internet's quickest, most popular, reliable and
trusted, free Internet security checkup and information service. And
now in its Port Authority Edition, it's also the most powerful and
complete. Check your system here, and begin learning about using the
Internet safely") test to see what ports are open and subject to
attack and close them off to any sniffers, etc.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

I prefer melting a small hole through the carpet. Heat up an awl
or other object with a propane torch or even the kitchen stove.
All the yarn ends will be melted and sealed with no chance to
unravel.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Sam S." wrote in message

I'm running a cable line and have to drill through some carpet.
I don't want the bit to catch or snag the carpet, and maybe pull
a thread so it ruins the entire rug. How does one drill through
carpet? Cut it first?

Thanks,

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair
A Veteran for Peace

In article t,
Norminn wrote:

You don't want to drill the pile, especially if it is Berber. Take fine
scissors and gut pile out of the spot you are going to use. Just for
added insurance, I would put a some glue on the spot and let it dry.
Use a utility knife or xacto to cut out the hole. Why are you going
through carpet?

How about Hot Gluing the area?

--
Impeach Bush ! a noble cause
Operation Iraqi Liberation = O.I.L.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Sam S." wrote in message

I'm running a cable line and have to drill through some carpet. I don't
want the bit to catch or snag the carpet, and maybe pull a thread so it
ruins the entire rug. How does one drill through carpet? Cut it first?

Get DSL instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Daly

On 20-Nov-2005, "Toller" wrote:

Get DSL instead.

So you can get ****ed off at the phone company instead of the
cable company. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Sam S." wrote in message
m...

"Colbyt" wrote

You may want to verify the above. I really think your cable should go

your cable modem and then to your router for maximum security. From

your
router it should go to each computer. Otherwise everything on your
computer
is an open network to anyone who knows how to hack.

Colbyt

LOL, yeah, what you said!

Right now, there's no cable running to my main computer. There lies the
security issue, I guess.

For most residential applications a "locked down and encrypted" wireless
router is acceptable. Your reduced bandwidth may be caused by an older
wireless router.

The suggestion to call your cable company and ask what you can expect is a
good one. For what it is worth around here they require a splitter at the
point of entry with one side of the splitter serving the computer and the
other the rest of the cable outlets.

The cable networks do have slowdowns during high usage periods. For that
matter so does DSL. It all depends on how much your provider oversells
their bandwidth.

Colbyt

Maple question Jeff K Woodworking 7 May 13th 05 01:09 AM
Stupid question? MikeMandaville Metalworking 16 May 14th 04 04:00 AM
this ought to get everybody fired up.... mel Woodworking 56 March 29th 04 04:53 PM
Might be a really stupid question but Alex UK diy 0 July 5th 03 11:31 PM