Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam S.

Default Stupid question of the day!

"Norminn" wrote
Why are you going through carpet?

You would have to see the set up of my place, to really understand it.

This is for my computer. The cable installer gave me three options, and I
thought of another, but didn't want him to do it.

My computer room is in the front of my house, I live in a bi-level.

Option 1: Run cable around front door, hide the cable in a shadow line of
the siding, and come through wall. You would still be able to see the cable,
but I would probably be the only one who would notice it.

Option 2: Fish the cable through the wall, go into the attic, out a vent and
down the side of the house.

Option 3: Run the cable into the laundry room (back of house), use a router
and wireless something or other. I had the router, and he gave me the
exterior card, or whatever they're called.

My brother which is computer savvy, called the guy a lazy SOB, because he
says my cable should be hooked directly to the computer, then the router
etc. He named off numerous reasons including security, I'm only getting
about half the speed I should (although I'm thrilled with it compared to
dial up), and some other reasons I can't remember.

Anyways, the cable can be run through the unfinished ceiling in the laundry
room, into the garage which has a finished ceiling along with HVAC ducts,
along the ceiling corner where garage door wires are run, and up through to
the computer room. Only about 10 ft of cable wire will be seen in the
garage. BTW, I won't be putting any holes into the duct work.