Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

Default Update on machinist trainee

F. George McDuffee wrote:
snip

You know, Harold, I've always despised paying into Social Security,
because I've long realized what a bad deal it is, ....

snip
except in comparison to most corporate defined benefit pension
plans.... under worst case scenerios SS will have the ability to
pay 70% of what they owe in 50 years, which is a lot better than
nothing.

Uncle George

Well, Unc, I've had my own plan since 1987. It's called saving and
investing. If I take my SS statement and extrapolate it at the same
rate that my own plan has grown, I would *own* 3 times as much money as
I have paid in to SS. That's how bad their plan is. Taking care of
yourself beats SS and the pension plans hands down in my book.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX