Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Default Garage door opener question

Something is wrong with the door or installation. You should not be having
these problems. I have 3 doors and openers for 8 years on my current house.
So far only one needed a gear and a spring replaced.... It is the one used
the most by far. All is Wayne Dalton equipment installed by Wayne Dalton
and fixed by them. I never oil them until there is a problem.

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
" Maybe someone needs to take another look at the door or the
mounting of
the openers. There just should not be that many failures. If the door
is
properly installed and a properly sized opener or any make properly
installed should be able to function. "

I agree. And has the door been checked out during cold weather, which
is apparently the problem? A garage door shouldn't be very different
in opening force in cold weather. It's possible something is shrinking
and binding. What kind of lubricant is on it?

With the opener disconnected, the door should move easily up and down
with one hand. At about the mid-point of travel, it should be just
about balanced so that it will stay there if you let it go.

It has been professionally checked in cold weather operates fine by hand,
but not with the various openers. The door was also professionally
installed. I have tried a tremendous variety of lubridants, none of which
makes any lasting change (longer than 1 day). The rollers are all
free-wheeling. None of them is ever sticking. I have to check to see if
thye are the cheap plastic bushing rollers or good all metal ones. If
plastic, I will change them out.