Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Connecting a 110 Volt 300 watt generator to a 220 Volt panel

wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

wrote:

I am considering purchasing a 3000 watt emergency generator. At
this size, some generators are 110/220 and others are only 110 volt.

My load will be a 5000 BTU A/C and a refrigerator. In addition, I
would like to put 110 Volts across the water heater for 1/4 power
for a few hours when the load could take it.

Assume that the main breaker is off.

You might do more than assume :-)

Your local power company will be very upsets with any home brew
attempt to do this.

What you do with the wires inside your house is none of their
business, IMO.

Play the troll if you like, but please don't make such irresponsible
remarks. It could cost a life. As long as your wires are connected to
their system they certainly do have a right to control what you do with
those wires. If you don't believe me as you attorney.

You little generator is not going to do all you want it to do.

Would you have any evidence for this article of faith?

But what about the water heater?

Why not heat water on a regular basis in wintertime with Honda's 6500
W water-cooled generator in an exhaust-depressurized plastic film
room in
the basement, with a CO detector? Item# 1676-1601 at NorthernTool.com.
The description says " :-) Running 4.7 hours on 4.2
gallons of gas, it could make 4.7x6.5 = 31 kWh of electricity and
4.2x114K/3412-31 = 110 kWh of "waste heat." About 4'x2'x2', 309
pounds, with wheels.

Nick

--
Joseph Meehan