Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Garage door opener question

Mike Dobony wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Mike Dobony wrote:
I have just fought my last fight with diy garage door openers! The
motor holds up, but the door refuses to open OR close when cold
weather comes in. I have had the door checked several times and it
is fine. I am now looking at the Allstar MVP opener or the
Chamberlain LiftMaster opener, either to be installed and
maintained by a garage door company. If there are any problems,
let THEM take care of it. The Allstar is all metal gears, but I
can not find any info about the Chamberlain. The Allstar is a
full roller chain, no cable. The Chamberlain is the belt drive.
The Allstar 20 year warranty covers the entire drive train and
only 2 years on the electronics. The Chamberlain's lifetime
waranty covers only the motor and belt, and 5 years on everything
else. The Allstar supposedly has a "shock-absorbing door arm" to
"soak up the sudden stops and starts of typical use, protecing the
door and opener," however I see nothing in the manual about this
arm. Anybody have any personal experience with either of these
units? Thanks.

Do you mean that after detaching the opener from the door, it
opens and closes properly and will remain half way fully open and
fully closed without assistance and moves without any unusual force?

Yes, professionally checked.

What have you checked on the opener. It would seem the problem
is not finding the problem, not the opener.

openerS!!! I have had several openers with the same problem. EVERY
one had the same problem.

Maybe someone needs to take another look at the door or the mounting of
the openers. There just should not be that many failures. If the door is
properly installed and a properly sized opener or any make properly
installed should be able to function.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit