Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

Default OT----Opinions requested on a moral dillema

"John Martin" wrote in message
ups.com...

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

snip--

Interestingly, look where the biggest loser, with the most vial of

comments
directed towards me, lives-----It's as if living in heavily populated

areas
tends to desensitize people---as long as it's not their problem, it

isn't
happening. Very strange, for eventually your number comes up. Who

do
you turn to? Why would you expect anyone to care when you didn't?

Harold

Harold:

I think you're a bit off base in suggesting that where a person lives
is an insight into character, just as you were in suggesting that the
appearance of the cashier may have been important. An jackass is a
jackass, regardless of where they live or what they look like.

Cashier: I, perhaps, stated that poorly. I was implying that she didn't
appear to be "on the make", and could have chosen my words better, perhaps.
Of course, no one can judge a book by its cover. My ex was loose and it
shocked everyone when it was disclosed. You'd think I'd have learned by
now! g

Just reflecting on the thing I saw on TV long ago, where rats were forced to
live in congested colonies. They turned quite aggressive towards one
another. I mentioned in a different reply that I meant nothing towards
folks that live in specific areas, although it sure as hell looks like I did
when I read what I posted. Apology extended to anyone that may have been
offended. It wasn't meant to be rude.

I believe, however, that what you did was right. "Mind your own
business" is a lot of crap.

Thanks for your vote of confidence. We apparently share similar feelings.
All it took for me was to turn it around and wonder how I'd feel if I owned
the store. I'd want to know.

Especially after 9/11. I'll never forget
an interview I saw of a federal official after the plane had gone down
that day in Pennsylvania. He said that it appeared that some of the
passengers had taken the law into their own hands, which is of course
true. But his choice of words and the tone in which he spoke them
implied to me that he disapproved somewhat, and he felt that such
things should be left to the proper authorities to handle.

Like New Orleans? g Sort of like a pig on stilts? It's *our* society.
We must be in charge.

I'd be
willing to bet you that there were passengers on the plane who felt the
same way. But attitudes have changed, for the better.

Frankly, I wouldn't get too upset by the comments you've seen. The
vast majority of the people here seem to think you took the high road.
Looking at those who don't, though, you've been called an asshole by:

1. the one whose own screen name refers to his own, and

2. the original ABRASive AssHole himself

Now all we need is for CASShole to return and chime in.

Thanks to this thread, I have now started plonking folks. Interestingly
Cliff isn't on the list. He may be weird, and may talk about things that
don't interest me, but I simply ignore him.

There are, clearly, some people that don't share my philosophy, and their
way of thinking conflicts drastically with mine. I'm not going to suggest
which of us is right, or wrong. I simply have no desire to hear from them,
and certainly don't intend to spend any of my time reading what they have to
say, particularly when they can't do it without vulgarity and profanity.
Hell, I'm no prude. I worked in machine shops all my life except for the
last few years. I can (and do) spout language that would make a sailor
blush, but I have enough decency to know that some people that read here
have manners and don't enjoy such talk. I try to respect them, and their
right to be free from such things. Besides, it's a reflection on me, as a
person, to lower myself to such standards. What was that saying? It's
better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt?

If I'm ever ahead of you in line at Home Depot, you might just see me
with plumbing fittings - or screws and washers and nuts - screwed
together. Don't get upset though - it'll be so I can make sure I'm
buying what I need. If the cashier misses something, I'll tell her.
Twice, if I have to.

A man with honor and high principles, it's obvious. I'd be proud to know
you.

Don't let the assholes get you down.

John Martin

With good folks like you responding, no chance!

Thanks, John.

Harold