Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Garage door opener question

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
I have just fought my last fight with diy garage door openers! The motor
holds up, but the door refuses to open OR close when cold weather comes

in.
I have had the door checked several times and it is fine. I am now

looking
at the Allstar MVP opener or the Chamberlain LiftMaster opener, either to

be
installed and maintained by a garage door company. If there are any
problems, let THEM take care of it. The Allstar is all metal gears, but I
can not find any info about the Chamberlain. The Allstar is a full roller
chain, no cable. The Chamberlain is the belt drive. The Allstar 20 year
warranty covers the entire drive train and only 2 years on the

electronics.
The Chamberlain's lifetime waranty covers only the motor and belt, and 5
years on everything else. The Allstar supposedly has a "shock-absorbing
door arm" to "soak up the sudden stops and starts of typical use,

protecing
the door and opener," however I see nothing in the manual about this arm.
Anybody have any personal experience with either of these units? Thanks.

Have you looked into the IDrive units? My next garage will have one of
them.

The belt driven ones are definitely quieter. Plan on a surge arrestor for
the electronics, I lost the last brain on one cause of a spike. The
instructions even say to install an arrestor for the opener.