Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith Carlson

Default Should I do 9' or 10' walls in a shop?

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
B a r r y writes:

Brian Elfert wrote:

Are 9' walls still enough clearance if I switch to a flat ceiling? Are
10' walls really worth all the extra lumber and heating/cooling expense?

They would be from this guy's POV. I work under 7' ceilings. G

Remember, you're probably going to have lights, DC tubes, etc...
hanging, so the extra space would be worth it for the net height.

I forgot about DC piping. That was going to run up high in my vaulted
ceiling. I should plan on 10' walls and can go back to 9' later if things
change.

Brian Elfert

Regarding DC plumbing, consider building a raised wood floor and run DC
piping under that. I've seen that on a couple of websites and it looks like
a very cool idea. What you lose by having a higher floor, you'd gain back by
more clearance above, and you can run pipes under the floor to machines in
the middle of the room without them being in the way as they would if
dropped from the ceiling.

DC and electrical could go under the floor. Plus, that wood floor is going
to have more give and be more comfortable over long shop sessions.

Of course, I speak from no experience with this (working in my 7' ceiling,
concrete floor basement), but if I was building a shop from scratch, I'd
probably want to work this idea in.

Good luck. And don't forget to leave bench space for cleaning skate
bearings!