Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

Default Should I do 9' or 10' walls in a shop?

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:59:58 -0000, Brian Elfert wrote:

I'm in the planning stages for my shop building. My initial plans called
for 9' walls with a vaulted ceiling so I would have plenty of overhead
clearance.

Are 9' walls still enough clearance if I switch to a flat ceiling? Are
10' walls really worth all the extra lumber and heating/cooling expense?

In an ideal world, the walls would be 12 to 15 feet high, but I don't have
the budget for that.

Brian Elfert

Ok, I've got ceiling envy now... *g*

If it's affordable, I'd go 10'.....
If you work with sheet goods, picture flipping over a sheet of plywood and
catching a corner on a light fixture...

My work area is divided in 2 areas, one with 7' ceiling and the other with 9' or
so at the peak.. I find myself stepping outside the garage door to handle 8'
tow-bys and sheet goods...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing