Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin

Default OT----Opinions requested on a moral dillema

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

38 good citizens witnessed her being murdered over the course of a
half hour or more. And no one did dick to help her.

I wonder why this thread brings her to mind?

I rest my case! Thanks, Gunner.

Interestingly, look where the biggest loser, with the most vial of comments
directed towards me, lives-----It's as if living in heavily populated areas
tends to desensitize people---as long as it's not their problem, it isn't
happening. Very strange, for eventually your number comes up. Who do
you turn to? Why would you expect anyone to care when you didn't?

Harold

Harold:

I think you're a bit off base in suggesting that where a person lives
is an insight into character, just as you were in suggesting that the
appearance of the cashier may have been important. An jackass is a
jackass, regardless of where they live or what they look like.

I believe, however, that what you did was right. "Mind your own
business" is a lot of crap. Especially after 9/11. I'll never forget
an interview I saw of a federal official after the plane had gone down
that day in Pennsylvania. He said that it appeared that some of the
passengers had taken the law into their own hands, which is of course
true. But his choice of words and the tone in which he spoke them
implied to me that he disapproved somewhat, and he felt that such
things should be left to the proper authorities to handle. I'd be
willing to bet you that there were passengers on the plane who felt the
same way. But attitudes have changed, for the better.

Frankly, I wouldn't get too upset by the comments you've seen. The
vast majority of the people here seem to think you took the high road.
Looking at those who don't, though, you've been called an asshole by:

1. the one whose own screen name refers to his own, and

2. the original ABRASive AssHole himself

Now all we need is for CASShole to return and chime in.

If I'm ever ahead of you in line at Home Depot, you might just see me
with plumbing fittings - or screws and washers and nuts - screwed
together. Don't get upset though - it'll be so I can make sure I'm
buying what I need. If the cashier misses something, I'll tell her.
Twice, if I have to.

Don't let the assholes get you down.

John Martin