Simon Avery

Default Chasing computer wiring (Cat-5) into plaster over brick wall

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Hello Dave

Never had a single outage on my mobile in that time (apart
from no signal in some valleys, which considering where I
live is to be expected).

DL| And what is the voice quality like on your mobile compared
DL| to the BT line?

"Acceptible", compared to "Nothing" on the BT line...

DL| Oh and of course you get can get a "56k"
DL| data connection on our mobile as well...

G3 seems to offer considerably more than 56k, but pricing is a bugger.

BTW, serious moaning resulting in BT turning out next day. Fault was
overhead cable damage on wire that was supposed to be replaced last
March, but they only did half of it. Engineer switched me to the last
working copper pair in the bundle - next time it goes I'm out for
ages, and I have a sneaky suspicion they'll simply refuse me isdn
access rather than replace the cable, since a few pops and whistles on
analogue is neither here nor there.

Which is the big single drawback on wired networks - replacing of
damaged wiring. Whether it's buried in plaster or hanging from poles,
it's expensive and time consuming to fix.

Here's a question; Why do mobile phone charges cost more than
landline? Surely landlines require much larger initial investment, but
running costs must be fairly similar?

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/