Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default Gluing Wood to Metal?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Leo wrote: "Also the strength needed to keep the stopper from falling
apart is so
small that I would think any glue would almost do.

=================================
Thanks, Leo. Since you've ordered so many stoppers, I'm guessing you
know.
Personally I don't like messing with the foaming glues. You're right
about stoppers being so small an item, not to mention being used in a
diningroom not welding shop setting.

=================================

Ruth,
One detail no one has mentioned so far is the prep process which is very
important with epoxy to metal adhesion. Any of your body shops will tell you
it's important to hqve a "tooth" for the epoxy (body filler) to hold on to.
To get this, you need something like 80 grit wet/dry paper (silicon
carbide), or a touch with a Dremel grinder. Just rough the surface so there
is no slick surface for the adhesive to slip on. When joining woods, there
is usually some penetration, even on tight grain woods, but that can't
happen with stainless steel.

HTH

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.