Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default What's up with LV forstner bits?

"AAvK" wrote in message

These are some excellent bits, high speed steel saw tooth forstners made
in
China by Oldham:
http://www.toolsforless.com/cgi-bin/...pl?SKU=FBS1016 (best price)
http://www.oldham-usa.com/Products/B...FBS1016pic.htm

I drilled 12 mortises in douglas fir, sizes including 1" (bit size) x
4-1/4" and 2-2/5",
7 to 9 dips and no sharpening needed yet. These are hard steel, definitely
flat cutters
and no volcanos.

You might want to up your standards some what. I have a forstner bit set
that I know that I have drilled over 1000 holes in Oak and MDF with a
single 1-3/8" bit and it still cuts fine, with no resharpening. This is a
15+ year old set that I paid $79 from Trendlines, German steel.