Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

Default Air Borne Dust Hazzard, for your consideration and comments

In article ,
Patrick Conroy wrote:

a) Use a good collector to prevent as much dust as possible from becoming
airbone. This is everything from a decent DC/Cyclone to decent filters/bags
to extras like overhead blade guards. Do what you can to prevent your DC
system from being a source of dust getting pumped back into the air.
b) Use an appropriately sized air cleaner to pull some dust out of the air.
Exhaust appropriately if you're worried about recirculation.

About a year ago I moved all my turning work to a small shop in my
finished basement. One of the prime concerns was of dust as the basement
is also the laundry and ironing area for my wife's work clothes as well
as a play area for our kid. Wood dust would not do.

I had a Jet 1100 DC with the canister filter which also made the trip to
the basement and then bought the JDS-750 air filtration unit. The DC is
in the corner of the 9'x12' room and the intake to the overhead JDS is
"aimed" at the DC's canister. As long as I'm vigilant with using the DC
when sanding and running the air filtration for up to an hour after I'm
finished I've seen no additional dust whatsoever.

The Jet DC seems to do a fine job of capturing most of the fine stuff
and the JDS seems to do a great job of catching what's left over or gets
blown out of the filter. The JDS uses 3 filters before the air is sent
back into the room and these guys are certainly not pristine any longer.

From my experience, it's been worth it and has got to be a healthier
environment - at the very least from a frying pan to the head
perspective.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05