Posted to rec.woodworking
John Wilson

Default What's up with LV forstner bits?

"PDQ" wrote in message
.. .
"Leon" wrote in message
et...

| wrote in message
| oups.com...
| I thought the whole point of a forstner bit was that it would drill a
| non-through hole with a flat bottom? (Except for the brad point in the
| middle.)
|

| By forstner you do mean forstner and not the saw tooth bits, right. There
| are many look alike forstner bits that do not deliver the results of a
true
| forstner bit.

While I agree with your sentiments, I must say that I have both the 'true'
forstner and a set of 'look-alike' saw tooth bits and I find both to be
excellent for their intended purposes.

The former go up to 1.5 inches and the latter go on up to 3 inches. I find
the saw tooth ones much better in boring the big holes as they let the heat
out and chew in better on the big holes.

When one wants clean and flat holes, nothing beats a forstner and a drill
press.

--
PDQ

The taper on the outer surface is intended to reduce friction and thus
heating, The chippers are deliberately sloped to assist in keeping the hole
straight. Solid rim passes to saw tooth at 1" to reduce friction and
heating because of the increased peripheral speed. If you are running them
fast or using them a lot, go for the high speed ones. Holes will not be
perfectly flat bottomed but are close enough for most purposes.

John.