Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Chase

Default Update on machinist trainee

[ snip ]

I realize you're not fond of SS-----who in hell is?
I didn't want to pay
it, and --------remember-------I was self employed, so my cut was the
whole
magilla-----it was the largest tax I paid for years. It was taken from
me without my permission---on the promise that I'd get it back when I was
old.

Your context suggests that by "SS" you mean "social security". I proceed
based on that assumption.

In essence, you performed "involuntary servitude", as prohibited by USConst.
Amdt. XIII.

I am. Hope you can still find it in your heart to consider me a
worthy person in spite of the fact I now draw the money.

My opinion of you is neither increased nor decreased. Like most of us, you
were probably deluded into believing that you were "contributing" to "your
own" account, from which you eventually would be allowed to withdraw
portions periodically. But in fact there is no "account" with your name on
it; you have NO balance identifiable as "yours", and never had. When you
die, your heirs will receive nothing from "your balance" because there is
none. ALL of the money you "contributed" over the years was paid out in the
same fiscal period to persons you never knew existed. ALL of the money you
might now receive was and is taken by (threat of) force from persons you
have not, and likely never will, meet. In short, you have transitioned from
"slave" to "slave-holder".

I've done my
best to not be a drag on society----paid taxes, worked all my life without
drawing any subsidies of any kind. I'm entitled to this one.

I beg to differ: You are no more "entitled" to any portion of the fruits of
my labor than I am of yours. To put it bluntly, I do not OWE you so much as
the time of day; nor you, me. That said, if I reach the "magic age" I fully
intend to avail myself of whatever forcibly exacted fruits of the labor of
others the government then in power deems "appropriate" for me.

If that makes me a hypocrite, then so be it.

-jc-