Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt

Default Drilled 3/16" hole into sewer vent - is there much of a problem?

wrote:
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 07:16:03 -0800, Matt "No Email" wrote:

m Ransley wrote:
You might get a bit of gas but probably not noticable, a bit of rain
water may come in eventualy. Best would be to caulk it up, maybe use
silicone.

Well its a small hole, and its right up against the drywall and the
anchor is lodged in the hole. Perhaps I can jam a bunch of silicone
cocking in there to further plug it up.

I bet if the sewer vent was actually in the center between the drywall
that I wouldn't have this problem.

Thanks,
Matt

Just take a utility knife and remove an inch circle of the drywall.
(after removing your anchor). Then plug the pipe with silicone caulk
or JB Weld. I would NOT leave it as it is now, you may get odors, and
worse yet, condensation builds up in vent pipes and will likely seep
out and cause your drywall to absorb moisture, causing mold and
deterioration of wall. Do it right, it's not that hard to spackle a
small hole after the repair.

PS. I'd use caulking and keep your "cocking" in your pants. A 3/16
hole is much too small for most cockings, and could be quite painful
if there was a sewer rat inside the pipe.... OUCH

Haha yeah :-) my girlfriend humorously pointed out my mis spelling.
Thanks for repair tip!!! and the social advise... hahaha

Matt