Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

Default Septic Tank and Water Softener

"Goedjn" wrote in message

Hi,

I have a septic tank. I also have 3 water softener units (one is a
softner,
one is for iron removal and one is for tannin removal). Each runs on a 3
day cycle so one regenerates each night and flushes all the water into the
drain. I just discoverd that these don't drain into the septic tank but
just into a space in my back yard. I now know the answer to why that
area
is always soggy. Unfortunately the area has become a mosquito breeding
ground and we have a 20 x 20 area of the back yard we really can't use.

I am doing renovations now and have the opportunity to re-route these to
feed into my septic tank. My question is whether or not this is a bad
thing
for the septic tank? It is all water and no solid, but don't know enough
about the details of septic to know for sure.

Any thoughts?

Alan

It depends on how big your septic system is.. If the tank
is comfortable with the added through-put, and the leechfield
can handle the water volume, you're not likely to poison
the septic tank. But a separate drywell is still a better idea.

what about the salt? when i asked the designer of my septic system, he most
definitely said not to route that water in there.