Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mr. Moose

Default Looking for Taylor tool

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:48:16 -0600, "Bob Woofter"
wrote:

I'm looking for one or more used or new Taylor, Freud, Marples or other quality tools for turning. A life-long woodworker, I'm new to woodturning and can use just about everything. If you have anything to spare, including advice, please drop me an email at .

Thanks,

Bob

The tool is important, but throw some serious effort into sharpening.
A well sharpened mediocre toolcan still work quite well, but a poorly
sharpened high-quality tool is a boot-scraper.

I've had perfectly good luck with a set of (shudder) Craftsman chisels
that were probably in the package for 15 years before I bought them at
an auto-swap for $10. Properly sharpened, they really work well,
especially the goofy gouge shape. (My set-up uses no grinder, but
instead several different diamond stones and a couple of holders. A
little slow, but small and efficeint for the tiny portion of the 1 car
garage that I call my workshop.)

Also, it would be hepful to tell us where you are at, what state and
what town.

Mark