Posted to rec.woodworking
Duane Bozarth

Default Should I do 9' or 10' walls in a shop?

Wes Stewart wrote:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:59:58 -0000, Brian Elfert
wrote:

I'm in the planning stages for my shop building. My initial plans called
for 9' walls with a vaulted ceiling so I would have plenty of overhead
clearance.

Are 9' walls still enough clearance if I switch to a flat ceiling? Are
10' walls really worth all the extra lumber and heating/cooling expense?

In an ideal world, the walls would be 12 to 15 feet high, but I don't have
the budget for that.

If you're framing, twobys come 8', 10' 12'....

You're gonna have to buy 10 footers anyway aren't you?

You can also get sheetrock in other than 4x8 sizes to match...If I were
going from scratch, I'd go the 10'.