Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Default What's up with LV forstner bits?

wrote:

This is the second time I've found an error in the specs/descriptions
Lee Valley provides in their catalogue. On their low-angle block
plane, they advertise the blade as being a 25-degree bevel. In
reality, it's a 23-degree bevel with a 2-degree micro bevel.

I noticed this as well on the blade for the low-angle jack. The same is
true for the higher-angle blade.

I was actually pleased as it made sharpening easier. I found a setting
between the original blade bevel and the "nominal" bevel, and used that
for my initial bevel. Since the original bevel is shallower, it means I
don't have to remove as much metal.

Chris